Best Holiday Wishes
Festive Turkey with Wild Rice and Herb Stuffing:
- Please read entire recipe before shopping or beginning.
- 12-15 lb fresh organic, or free-range turkey (do not use self-basting turkey)
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery, about 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (optional)
- 1 medium green apple, diced about 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped (sulfate free)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 TBS chopped fresh sage (or 2 tsp dried sage)
- 3 TBS chopped fresh thyme (or 1 TBS dried thyme)
- 1/2 TBS fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBS chicken broth (home made or organic brand )
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: cook liver for 10 minutes with gravy ingredients, remove from heat, chop and add to stuffing mixture.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, chopped in large pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into large pieces
- 2 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
- 1/3 cup Gluten Free flour mixed with water
- 1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- 2 TBS chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- salt and black pepper
- *optional 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- Serves: minimum of 8
- Bring 3-1/2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both wild and brown rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a large enough bowl to mix everything together.
- Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.Always stuff the turkey just before roasting, never ahead of time, to avoid the growth of harmful bacteria. Have the stuffing hot and pack it loosely in the body cavity.
- Rinse turkey well inside and out. Pat dry. (If you had to buy a frozen turkey, make sure it is completely thawed.)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and put the oven rack on the bottom shelf. Right before roasting the turkey, stuff it loosely with the stuffing.
- Cut about 18 inches of heavy kitchen twine. Truss the turkey by binding the legs together.
- Place turkey breast side up on a flat or V-shaped rack in roasting pan. Make sure you use a rack inside the roasting pan. Otherwise the skin may stick to the pan and tear. Add a cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan. Roast breast side up, basting about every 30 minutes with the pan juices for about 2-1/2 hours for a 12-15 lb turkey.
- Simmer all the ingredients( except gluten free flour), thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper for about 1 hour on medium heat.
- Strain and discard solids. Heat 1/4 cup broth in a stainless steel skillet. Whisk in flour a little at a time to incorporate. Using a wire whisk, add the rest of the broth a little at a time on low heat. Keep whisking to avoid lumps until all the liquid is incorporated.
- Add rosemary and cook for another 20 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Season with chopped thyme, salt, and pepper.
- AND ENJOY!!!!